Cosmetic surgeons are available throughout the U.S. and regardless of where you live you probably have at least some choice in which one to see. Most also have websites giving a lot of information about their training, experience, staff, facilities, and services.
Check the Qualifications
Choose a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. That means that the surgeon has completed that Board’s training and has passed its examination. It is a Specialty Board and cosmetic surgery is a type of plastic surgery. Look also at what professional organizations the surgeon belongs to, as those memberships keep a surgeon in contact with his peers and up-to-date with technology and techniques.
Check the Specific Experience
Ask how many times the surgeon has performed the procedure(s) you are interested in. The answer should be at least many hundreds, if not several thousand. You would not want your surgeon to use you for on-the-job training.
Look at the website testimonials
Most cosmetic surgeons have both testimonials from ex-patients and Before and After galleries on their websites. These can give you a good idea of what sort of results the surgeon is creating and what sort of experience the patients are having at his facility.
Considering the Surgeon’s Location
There is a new trend of people traveling to have their cosmetic surgery, even traveling to other countries.
- Sometimes people go to other countries because the U.S. FDA has not yet approved a procedure they want to have.
- Other times it is because they’re attracted by a package which offers sightseeing as well as surgery. However, if you are recovering from surgery, you will probably not want to be jazzing around looking at the sights. It would be in your best interests to rest and care for yourself.
- Sometimes people travel because of lower prices in other areas or because they have family or friends there who can help them during recovery.
Some cosmetic surgeons have a travel coordinator who can help you obtain local accommodation, and the surgeon will make special arrangements for you in regard to pre-surgery consultations and post-surgery follow-up.
Whichever surgeon you finally choose, and whichever procedure(s) you have, your outcome will depend heavily on two things:
- How well you choose your cosmetic surgeon: and
- How well you follow the post-operative self-care instructions
Choose your surgeon wisely, and then trust his instructions and advice.